Opportunities for 11 - 25 year olds.
Growing Confidence is an exciting project being delivered in collaboration with Fordhall Community Land Initiative and the Field Studies Council. Between us we are delivering a wide range of outdoor events and opportunities for young people.
As part of Growing Confidence, Shropshire Wildlife Trust have a range of activities for 11 - 25 year olds, including:
Make your weekends wild
Monthly work parties every first Sunday a month for young people aged 11 - 25 who are looking to gain practical experience in the conservation sector. This involves activities including coppicing, hedge laying and wildlife surveys.
Wild Roots Youth Group
Every second and fourth Wednesday of the month we run an outdoor themed youth group in Shrewsbury, come along to learn new skills, meet new people and have fun!
Work experience placements
Shropshire Wildlife Trust can offer work experience placements to find out what it is like to work in a conservation charity and gain a better understanding of what we do.
To find out more email, Tom Howells
For teachers and lecturers
Both Fordhall Farm and Shropshire Wildlife Trust run an outdoor practical alternative curriculum with schools for those who struggle in the classroom, this allows pupils to develop more practical land based skills and build confidence and self esteem. We also:
- Attend careers fairs or talks
- Offer ecotherapy sessions
- Offer practical conservation days
- Offer Wildlife ID days
University placement scheme
We now offer a 4 week placement scheme for University students and graduates. Based in Shrewsbury this scheme aims to give young people an insight into working in the environmental sector.
FSC Preston Montford
- Day courses Tailored natural history courses for those following in Darwin’s footsteps. Discover more about specific habitats and specialised species.
- Residential courses Further discovery and exploration into specific areas of natural history and conservation over a few days in the Shropshire countryside.
- Work experience placements FSC Preston Montford can offer work experience placements to find out what it is like to work at an environmental education charity and gain a better understanding of what we do
- Exploration events When school, college and universities break up for the holidays keep an eye out for fun at Fordhall. Events range from Forest survival days to Be a farmer sessions.
- Work experience placements Fordhall Farm can offer work experience placements to find out what it is like to work at a community farm and all that goes with it.
Find out more
For more about the project or register your interest for any of these activities please contact us on:
Email Hannah on HannahF@shropshirewildifetrust.org.uk
Call 07399 493120 or on the main office number 01743 284 280 and ask for Hannah
- Twitter: @GrowingConf
- Facebook: @GrowingConfidence
- Instagram: @growing_confidence
You can also find out more about the other youth development projects taking place across the UK by following Our Bright Future.
- Twitter: @obrightfuture
- Instagram: @obrightfuture
- Facebook: @OBrightFuture
Why and how
Following the 2015 Paris climate change agreement, the UK's Big Lottery Fund through Our Bright Future invested £33 million in more than 30 organisations nationwide to inspire and develop the next generation of environmental leaders.
Thirty one youth-led projects across the UK are each receiving around £1m of funding to give young people the skills and knowledge to improve their local environments – from reducing marine pollution to minimising food waste. In doing so, young people will develop the confidence and resilience to become environmental leaders and influence decisions at local and national levels. This young, ambitious and capable movement will ensure this generation’s voice is heard in the current debates around environmental improvements and a resource-efficient economy.