A holy place for geologists, the location of the discovery of Britain's earliest trilobites.

Location

Comley Quarry
Church Stretton
SY6 7JS
A static map of Comley Quarry

Know before you go

Size
0 hectares

Entry fee

Free

Parking information

Parking is awkward but possible on the roadside. Further car park details below.

Grazing animals

None

Walking trails

Take a footpath up Caer Caradoc and include Comley Quarry in a loop of your walk.  

Access

Although parking is possible on the roadside to view the reserve, the nearest car park is Church Stretton train station, SY6 6PG, which is free to use. 

Accessibility: Amber/Green

The quarry is open and accessible, but is prone to bramble and scrub when volunteer work parties have been unable to visit. However, this tiny site is flat with a hard quarry floor, it can be viewed from the road.

Dogs

On a lead

When to visit

Opening times

Open at all times

Best time to visit

April to July

About the reserve

Small but awesome, Comley Quarry has little in the way of wildlife but is a holy place for geologists. Britain’s earliest trilobites were discovered here in the 1880's – an astounding glimpse into the past some 550 million years ago.

Comley is known internationally as a reference section against which Cambrian rocks of similar age across the world are compared. Fossil hunting is not permitted here, but look into this tiny amphitheatre and reflect on the ancientness of the world and all the vanished creatures that once lived in it.  

The most important ecological aspect of the site is the occurrence of Dormice (Muscardinus avellanarius), whose presence has been determined by food signs.

Directions: Approach Comley from the A49, turning off either at Leebotwood or north of Church Stretton towards Cardington. Parking is awkward but possible.

The nearest car park is Church Stretton train station, SY6 6PG, which is free to use.

Contact us

Shropshire Wildlife Trust
Contact number: 01743 284280

Location map

Comley Quarry

 

 

Charles Lapworth and geology students on a field trip to Comley Quarry in 1896.